Good news! We are so busy we need to hire another Homebuyer Counselor!
Here at the Housing Trust we are 100% community focused, and our highest priority is assisting Santa Fe families that could not ordinarily afford to buy a home. If this is something you find enriching, rewarding or just down-right important, you are the person we seek.
This staff member would optimally have knowledge and experienced in real estate (homebuyer assistance, loan review, real estate transactions) and/or nonprofit program reporting, and organization and documentation for loan administration.
Position requires basic computer skills including word processing, spread sheets, and database program experience.
This is a community facing position so a positive attitude, reliability, and people skills are essential work expectations.
Compensation $45k to $60k to start depending on experience and qualifications.
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Two years similar level experience preferably in affordable housing programs, counseling, banking, real estate, or mortgage lending.
- Degree in related field or two years additional experience equivalency.
- Ability to obtain and interpret financial data, systematically report and maintain program records.
- Ability to communicate effectively to both clients, coworkers and the community.
- Spanish language competency a major plus
- HUD Certified a major pus. If not, the ability to obtain certification within a designated timeframe.
- Implementation of homebuyer assistance programs in compliance with internal policies and controls and funding requirements.
- Outreach to clients in a variety of settings.
- Collaboration with local government staff, loan officers, credit counselors, realtors, and other housing professionals to assure that comprehensive referral is provided as needed.
- Intake, screening referrals, follow-up and other tasks necessary to provide a high standard of client service.
- Coordination of work with volunteers and assigned staff members.
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
The Santa Fe Community Housing Trust (SFCHT) is a non-profit community development organization that helps lower-income residents of the northern New Mexico gain access to capital, economic literacy and affordable housing so that they can improve the quality of their lives and become more economically self-sufficient.
Santa Fe Community Housing Trust is an Equal Opportunity Employer and assures fair, non-discriminatory program delivery.
Email your resume and cover letter to: Info@housingtrustonline.org
The Housing Trust
RE: Counselor Position
1111 Agua Fria Street
Santa Fe, NM 87501
Director of Finance and Operations
The Housing Trust, Santa Fe, New Mexico
About The Housing Trust
We are a 29-year-old nonprofit established by concerned citizens to increase the supply of affordable housing and home purchase financing for lower income housing impacted by the rapid housing cost increases and gentrification of Santa Fe. The median home price here is $560,000—66% higher than the national median, while median incomes are 18% lower. Home prices have increased 25% in just the last year due mainly to “pandemic” non-resident buyers.
The Housing Trust is a 501(c)3 nonprofit and is registered with the U.S. Treasury as a Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI) and as such, it focuses on serving lower-income, Native American and Hispanic households. Fifty five percent of Santa Fe’s population is Hispanic, including descendants of 17t h-18th century Spanish-era colonists and a large number of immigrants from Mexico and Central America. That said, an overriding goal of The Housing Trust is make sure that people from Santa Fe, or that work in Santa Fe, can afford to live here. Our housing work is also critical to help attract and retain younger newcomers of all cultures, who arrive in large numbers but many of whom also leave due to the city’s extraordinarily high housing costs.
The Housing Trust has provided home purchase counseling to over 5,500 families, built and sold 729 homes, developed 193 rental apartments using Low Income Housing Tax Credits, and made over 2,500 home purchase assistance loans. The $17.4 million loan portfolio is a mix of deferred payment and amortizing second mortgage loans, with a few first mortgages. Our lending goal for 2021 is $1.9million. Lending capital comes from federal grants, local government grants, and proceeds of our development projects. We have a staff of 10—the majority of whom handle lending and rent subsidies. The Executive Director handles all real estate development projects, the “staff” being contracted engineers, architects, land planners, and development finance specialists.
The Director of Finance and Operations will report to the Executive Director. The Director of Finance and Operations is a new position created as a key part of a restructuring aimed at greatly increasing loan production while improving staff effectiveness/satisfaction, recordkeeping, reporting to funders, and related aspects of operations. The successful candidate will be expected to complete implementation of Portfol loan tracking software, and to recommend new accounting processes and software to modernize and streamline our diverse finance activities.
The position will supervise our outsourced bookkeeping and accounting as well as the Office Manager, Loan Program Director, Contracts Manager, and outsource loan servicing providers. In total, we have a staff of 10— of which four positions work directly with clients. The Executive Director handles all real estate development projects, the development “staff” consisting of contracted engineers, architects, land planners, development finance and PR specialists, as well as one Executive Assistant position.
- Audit oversight
- Staff to Audit and Finance Committee
- Government grants acquisition and management
- Lending oversight
- Contract management
- Financial and operational performance reporting
- IT management and improvements
- Asset management of small portfolio of REO and three multifamily rental properties
- Financial projections for real estate development projects, lending and combined operations
- Relationship management with lenders, grant funders and equity partners in LIHTC projects
- Review of real estate development proformas produced by other staff or contractors
- Financial strategies and investment decisions in tandem with the ED
- Proposing and securing new sources of capital
- Supervising annual audits of parent and rental LLC subsidiaries
- Asset management (re: several parcels of land and property management of 3 rental properties
- Maintaining and proposing improvements to financial management policies and procedures
- Review and approval of all financial statements and other financial reports
- At least 8 years of progressively more responsible experience in financial management. A background in affordable housing lending is highly desirable.
- A bachelor’s degree in accounting. Accounting studies + MBA preferable.
- Past work and civic activities that show a commitment to public service and social justice.
- Familiar with QuickBooks, MS Office Suite, with a strong aptitude for learning new computer programs quickly.
- Ability to research and recommend new accounting software appropriate to our operations.
- Experience with loan portfolio management software is desirable.
- Experience leading a team, mentoring and managing people, building a values-based culture in a small but growing organization.
- Proven experience with raising lending investment capital from federal, other government and/or private sources.
- Fast-learner, who toward fellow staff members, customers and partners demonstrates humility, openness, transparency, and empathy as consistent with Housing Trust values.
We will pay a highly competitive, market-rate salary commensurate with experience. We offer a full suite of benefits including health insurance, retirement plan and vacation.
How to Apply
Interested candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States. They should send a résumé and cover letter via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org by July 30th, 2021. The subject line should include “Director of Finance and Operations” in the subject line. Start at earliest convenience. No phone calls, please.