Award-winning expertise at no cost.
The Housing Trust is an independent community development 501(c)3 non-profit corporation based in Santa Fe and serving the northern New Mexico counties. Since our founding in 1992, we have been instrumental in establishing many affordable housing efforts in the Santa Fe area such as the first homebuyer training and counseling program and the Santa Fe Affordable Housing Round Table and Trust Fund. Our current activities are the result of years of innovation and program development in response to real community housing needs.
A citizens group interested in forming a land trust in the Santa Fe area founded the Housing Trust. In 1992 the City of Santa Fe, Enterprise Community Partners, and existing housing non-profit groups realized the need for an umbrella housing organization that could directly assist potential homeowners and work to obtain land, project financing, and other resources needed to accelerate affordable housing efforts in Santa Fe. The fledgling Santa Fe Community Housing Trust was tapped for these roles and the Executive Director, Sharron Welsh, was hired as the organization’s first employee.
Since our founding, The Housing Trust has grown to a multi-million dollar operation with 12 employees. Our organization has built and sold nearly 700 affordable homes and 120 affordable rental apartments. We have provided hands-on training and individual counseling for nearly 5,000 potential homeowners and provide home purchase loans to 1,500 lower-income families. We have also provided assistance for more than 400 renters through special programs for homeless and disabled clients.
- HUD Housing Counseling Agency
- Community Housing Development Organization
- Community Development Financial Institution
- HECM Reverse Mortgage Counseling Agency
- Housing Partnership Network
The Housing Trust has been recognized in the following awards:
- Innovations in Government Award from Ford Foundation and Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University
- National Homebuilders Association
- National Association of Realtors’ Award for Homebuyer Counseling and Training
- HUD Awards for Best Practices in Supportive Housing and Community Building
- University of Chicago Architectural Competition Design Award for La Cieneguita Development
- Fannie Mae’s Maxwell Award (2nd place) for La Cieneguita Development
- Parade of Homes 2007 Design Award, Arroyo Sombra
- Santa Fe Chamber of Commerce 2007 Business Excellence Award
- Stage Coach Apartments, 2011 MFA Project Design Competition 2nd Place Winner
- The Village Sage,2012 “Best Club House” award for the Apartment Association of NM
Housing Trust Newsletter, Summer 2013 4.8MB
Community Development Digest Innovative Approaches to Land Trusts Case Study
MIT Green Building Study for Arroyo Chico Subdivision 5.5MB
Blueprint for Greening Affordable Housing